Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
This homemade strawberry ice cream recipe is not your run-of-the-mill strawberry ice cream.
Strawberry is one of the top three ice-cream flavors in the world. (Every where except New Zealand – find out other whacky fun facts about ice cream here.) But this recipe really shines.
As always, we suggest you use the very freshest of ingredients, especially if you opt to use fresh strawberries and mash them, rather than use the strawberry coulis.
The base is a French custard ice cream base, to which we add a strawberry coulis for a smooth texture. If you prefer bits of fruit in your ice cream, try using an immersion blender. For bigger chunks, you can mash the fruit with a fork, sprinkling sugar over it to draw out the juices. Remember, however, that frozen pieces of fruit can be icy.
Strawberry Ice Cream
1 ½ Cups cream
1 ½ Cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
½ Cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2/3 Cups Strawberry Coulis
1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Heat cream, and milk in small sauce pan until hot, but not simmering.
- Take pan off stove.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until white and frothy.
- Pour ½ cup of hot milk slowly into the egg mixture. Whisk well.
- Slowly pour in the remainder of the milk and cream and mix.
- Return mixture to pan and cook until it reaches about 175 F (80 C). The mixture should coat the back of a spoon and running your finger through it should leave a line.
- Fill a bowl with ice and place a smaller bowl in it.
- Fit a sieve over the smaller bowl.
- Pour the custard into the sieve and strain.
- Let it cool, stirring often.
- Once the custard is cool, add strawberry coulis and vanilla essence and mix until well blended. If using mashed fruit, mix it in now.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
You might also want to try these other strawberry ice cream recipes: Strawberry soy ice cream recipeStrawberry sugar free ice cream
Return from Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe to
The Best Homemade Ice Cream Recipe page.
Return to The Ice Cream Maker Home page.