Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is a childhood favorite – even for grownups. Many people’s memories of it, however, involve violently green-colored commercial ice cream, speckled with cardboard flavored bits of "chocolate" chips, so we can only assume the positive response is due to many happy memories of other events associated with it rather than to the ice cream itself!
You'll have no such doubts with this mint chocolate chip ice cream, though. This version, made using a fresh mint ice cream recipe, is sure to create many more happy memories, long into the future.
Fresh mint is available in most grocery stores by the bunch. The mint flavor seeps into the milk and cream that are then used to make the ice cream base. The result is unlike any mint ice cream you can buy. Another benefit – no artificial food coloring.
If fresh mint leaves aren't available, you could, in a pinch, use 1/8 teaspoon of mint oil, added to the custard after it has been strained and cooled. It won’t taste quite the same – but definitely still a sophisticated cut above the store-bought variety.
2 cups cream
2 cups milk
¾ cups sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups of fresh mint leaves, washed and patted dry
7 large egg yolks
6 ounces of chocolate chips, or 6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped.
Fresh Mint Ice Cream Recipe With Chocolate Chips
If using chocolate
- Place the cream, milk, sugar, salt and mint leaves except the egg yolks in a medium saucepan. Warm of medium flame until the milk is hot, but not simmering yet.
- Remove the pan from the stove, cover, and allow to steep for at least an hour, until the mixture has cooled.
Place a sieve over a large bowl. Strain the mixture. The mint leaves will remain in the sieve. Press down on them to release as much mint flavor into the milk as possible. Discard mint leaves.
- Return mixture to pan and warm until hot but not simmering.
- Whisk egg yolks in large bowl.
- Slowly pour the hot milk over the egg yolks, whisking continuously.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens (around 82 C /180F on a candy thermometer). The custard should coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Set the sieve over a large bowl. Strain the custard.
- Allow to cool, then chill well.
- Once chilled, churn in your ice cream maker.
– melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler until smooth. When the ice cream is ready, place a thin layer of ice cream in a container. Drizzle with some of the melted chocolate. Stir gently, dispersing the chocolate swirl through the ice cream. Repeat, alternating layers and mixing until all the ice cream is in the container.
If using chocolate chips
– simply fold into the ice cream in the container.
Return from Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream to
Best Homemade Ice Cream Recipe page.
Return from Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
to The Ice Cream Maker Home page