Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe
This pistachio ice cream recipe is part of my favorite triple scoop combination. (The other two scoops are dark chocolate and coffee.) It's light, not too sweet, and it avoids all the food coloring and chemicals that make commercial pistachio ice cream so violently green.
Personally, I prefer it smooth, so I grind 1 1/2 cups of nuts at the beginning of the recipe and omit the chopped nuts at the end, but many people feel it's more authentic to have them in.
It's up to you.
2 C (225 gr) shelled, unsalted pistachio nuts
2/3 C (150 gr) sugar
5 egg yolks
2 C (500 ml) milk
2 C (500 ml) cream
- Chop 1 C of pistachio nuts with 1/3 C of sugar in a food processor until finely ground.
- Whisk 1/3 C sugar with the egg yolks until pale and thick.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, cream and ground pistachio/sugar mixture.
- When hot, pour slowly into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return mixture to pot and cook over medium-low flame until custard reaches 80 C (170 F) on a candy thermometer, or mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon and a finger run through it leaves a track on the spoon.
- Half fill a large bowl with ice, place a smaller bowl in the ice and pour custard into it.
- When custard has cooled, refrigerate several hours until well chilled.
- Pour into ice cream maker.
- Coarsely chop remaining 1 C of pistachio nuts.
- Transfer ice cream to a container and fold in the chopped nuts.
- Freeze several hours to allow flavors to ripen.
Click here for more tips and suggestions on how to make ice cream.
Return from Pistachio Ice Cream Recipe to Best Homemade Ice Cream Recipe page.
Return to The Ice Cream Maker home page.