Vanilla / Chocolate
Soy Milk Ice Cream Recipe
This soy milk ice cream is an excellent alternative to its dairy counterpart. Soy milk not only makes good non-dairy ice cream, it also is low in fat and is often enriched with calcium. This recipe can be used to make both a vanilla and a chocolate version. (Click here for more soy ice cream and healthy ice cream recipes.)
1 C powdered sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp cornstarch
2 C soy milk
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp of high quality vanilla essence
- Beat the eggs yolks with the powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- If using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds into the soy milk.
- Warm the soy milk in a medium saucepan.
- Temper the egg mixture: slowly pour in a cup of hot soy milk while continuously beating the eggs. Then add the rest of the soy milk, while whisking.
- If using vanilla essence, add it now.
- Return the mixture to the pan. Stir until mixture thickens and reaches 170F (76 C) or coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain the mixture and chill until cool.
- Pour into ice cream maker.
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
To make chocolate ice cream using the above recipe, substitute chocolate soy milk for the plain soy milk; add 2 tsps. of cocoa powder to the soy milk as you heat it in step 3 and whisk well to avoid clumps; and (optionally) mix in 1 Tbsp of Khalua, or other coffee or chocolate liqueur instead of the vanilla essence.
Return from Vanilla and Chocolate Soy Milk Ice Cream Recipe to
Healthy Ice Cream Recipes.
Return to The Ice Cream Maker home page.